I hope everyone had a lovely new year! It’s been hard keeping up with this blog, it was originally to help me stay motivated with 3D printing projects. However, I quickly realized it takes a lot of time to type and edit out these blog posts. I have been trying to launch an Etsy page, so I have been designing new models and prints to go with that. Here is a sneak peek of what I have been printing and designing in the past months!
I don’t think I have posted many of the failures I have had at 3D printing. Here is an example of something I was working on this week. I was trying to make this pre-made phone case here.
This is what my printer decided to print out.
3D printing is not always easy, in most cases you need to change something on your model or adjust the printer settings. In this case I think I had something set wrong when I sliced the model, and told the printer the wrong nozzle settings.
It did not discourage me from printing though and I ended up making this useful print I have been wanting to make from thingiverse instead. I will definitely come back to trying to print a phone case again in the future!
After finishing my Halloween prints I realized that I needed some type of backing in order to make it into a useable door sign. I made a trip to the craft store and bought a chalkboard sign, but found out pretty quickly that the sign was too large and that it would look pretty empty with just the 3D prints on it…so I decided to deck it out with nothing but the best…rhinestones!
After going a bit crazy adorning the sign with rhinestones, I realized that the perfect combination of rhinestones made a shape like a treat (yes I was a bit proud of myself and proclaimed that I had just mastered the art of rhinestones!) Did you know that rhinestones were once rock crystals gathered from the river rhine? Now you can liberally apply them to just about any project in hopes of it becoming something grand!
Once I felt that I had liberally applied enough of the rhinestones I added the final touch of some chalkboard pen art. At first I thought I had ruined it with the rhinestone overkill and cliché chalkboard art. I had to step back from my monstrosity and give into defeat.
After awhile I realized it had grown on me, and with the compliments of my hubby I felt it wasn’t such an eyesore in the end! I just hope the trick or treaters aren’t scared away by it…
I went to the hardware store this weekend to pick up some stuff for projects around the apartment. Ended up finding out that they had a 3D printer service in store! Mostly advertising for keychains with the key copy service,custom doorknobs, and signs. Pretty neat check it out.
October is my favorite month, being that it’s my birthday, Halloween, and fall all in one! I decided to break out the 3D printer again to make Halloween decorations instead of buying decorations at the store. I followed this tutorial by mathgrrl because it was super easy, the only problem I ran into is not knowing how to use tinkercad.com.
The tutorial tells you to pick a clip art image which you will convert into an .svg This will allow you to import into tinkercad which will generate a flat 3D object. Pretty simple if the image you are working with is not complex and has a good solid shape. I went with another black cat clip art than the tutorial since I liked the design better.
I went with my new roll of Alchement brand filament in silver I just recently purchased. Figured it was a good way to start out the Halloween theme. Had some problems with the printer nozzle getting clogged and making a mess of the prints. Still turned out pretty good despite the blobbing.
Also decided to do some bats and a Halloween sign. I actually split up this design into just the bats and then printed the sign separately since I figured it was a bit too much for one print.
Here is the finished product! Pretty happy with it even though it didn’t turn out perfect with the nozzle clogging. Think I will make it into a sign for the door.
Have been having a great and busy summer, and never got around to updating this blog!
So much inspiration from traveling! I hope to start on my next project soon which will be 3D printed earrings (metal from Shapeways). First I need to learn how to use the software Blender better, so I will be posting a tutorial and some tips.
Before I can print my model I will need to prep the file. Because Sculpturis doesn’t use the file format I need (.stl) I will need another program to convert the file format. I found this helpful tutorial on how to do that.
I downloaded and installed Meshlab and opened the .obj file of my model. I than exported the model into a .stl file.
Some 3D models will require supports. I know that pudgy cat’s tail has no supporting material on the bottom to keep his tail up well it prints the layers. If I want only his tail supported I would have to go back into my 3D file and add them myself. I chose to use the premade supports in Repetiers Slic3r to see how it would turn out.
Here is a halfway view and a finished view of how it was printed with supports.
This was all the support material that printed, I feel like it was a bit much since he is a pretty solid figure. I mostly took it off by hand and some force with a file. You can see in the picture on the right that the bottom support was a bit rough coming off. I will go over this with a file and sand paper later.
Heres a good side view and the details that printed on the back. It didn’t actually print out the whiskers but the rest of the detail seemed to turn out nice. I will have to go back on my model and define details better next time.
Heres a shot of pudgy chilling with his new friend on my desk. I plan on painting him next to see how painting on PLA works out.